The driving force behind establishing the secretariat office of WHO collaborating centers of Iran was taken into consideration based on the results of the second meeting of national WHO collaborating centers held in Kerman on 25 February 2015. In this meeting, Dr Reza Malekzadeh -the vice-chancellor of research and technology of MOHME, Dr Jihan Tawila -the WHO representative in Iran, Dr Mohsen Asadi Lari -the manager of international affairs of MOHME, Dr Shahin Akhundzadeh –the successor of Research and Technology Deputy of MOHME, Dr Ali Akbar Haghdoost –the chancellor of Kerman University of Medical Sciences and the head of Regional Knowledge Hub, and WHO Collaborating Center for HIV Surveillance, heads, authorities, and representatives of sixteen WHO collaborating centers attended.
The mission of this secretariat office is to help, to collaborate, and share knowledge and experience with other centers, researchers and countries to improve health in line with WHO agenda.
As about one third of WHO collaborating centers of Eastern Mediterranean region are located in Iran, and due to the importance of collaboration in the world, this secretariat office is established to:
1. Bond a network among collaborating centers,
2. Hold joint and regular meetings with the presence of ministry authorities, heads and vice-chancellors of medical universities, heads and authorities of collaborating centers
3. Facilitate the improvement of collaborating centers
4. Provide consolidated instruction or guideline for collaborating centers
5. Creates a road map for WHO collaborating centers by MOHME
6. Share experiences of collaborating centers in terms of their scientific endeavors
7. Share scientific documents of WHO collaborating centers